I feel like starting with "Deep Thoughts..." like from old SNL sketches. Well, a year has gone by for me, a year with many dramatic changes.
I rang in 2008, by shooting rifles with family, then I got divorced in March after a long separation. In April, I dove right into my first singles "thing" by going to Huntington Beach, CA w/ 1200 other midsingles. In May, I graduated with my bachelor's degree in Public Admin. after years of being in and out of school. Throughout the summer, I spent time with my son helping him learn new things and in July, I spent my Independence Day with family (something I hadn't done in a while.) In Aug. and Sept., I enjoyed meeting new people and growing closer to old friends. Halloween was a blast, I had so much fun with my little boy, dressing up and going to Halloween parties with friends. Halloween had been painful holiday in years past, but I was determined to change that. My Thanksgiving was spent with extended family and I loved the time with them. Now, its December and I have reflected on a year that has exceeded my expectations in so many ways.
And best of all, I spent the whole year SINGING and DANCING and LAUGHING with my son.
I have often heard people use the phrase "comfortable in my own skin." I never really understood that, but I feel like that applies to me. I feel comfortable in my own skin and know that I still have some improvements---and thats ok.
I am so happy with where I am in my life. I have learned some difficult but powerful eternal lessons this year. I learned that no matter what our trials may be...regardless of where we are in our spiritual growth. We can always grow and our trials will not last forever, as long as we look forward, stay positive, do not allow ourselves to become bitter, and if we remember that the Lord answers prayers in his time. In time, we can reach our goals and find happiness even amid trials. Because what I am striving for is not time, but for eternity. This life is a little "tick" mark, yet a pivotal one, on a grand scale.
I was reading Moses 1:39 to my son last night, trying to explain that Heavenly Father's plan of happiness means that he joys in our joys and wants to help us return to him.
What loving parent would not want the same: to have joy with their children forever.
I look forward to a new year and am grateful for the strength this 30th year of life has given me. I can only hope that I can continue to progress in the next 30. The support of loving parents, loving family, friends and even the kindness of strangers have helped me get to a point that I couldn't have achieved alone. The Lord really does answer prayers, even through other people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Here's to a great year for both you and Aiden! Thanks for always being my friend!
Maren
Thank you for such a neat update and testimony. You are such a neat person. I miss having an excuse to see you every month for visiting teaching.
Post a Comment